For first-time home buyers and for those returning to the real estate market, there is one golden rule to follow – and that is to “prepare before you purchase,” according to the Greater Vancouver Home Builders’ Association (GVHBA).
On March 1, 2017, the association is holding its 23rd annual Homebuyer Forum, presented by BC Housing, to help local buyers do just that.
Bob de Wit, CEO of the GVHBA, said, “The demand for real estate continues to outpace supply, adding pressure on the buyers across Metro Vancouver... When it comes to getting into the market, gathering market intelligence will help empower people to buy smart.”
This market intelligence will come in the form of expert industry seminars and panel discussions during the free evening event at SFU Harbour Centre, which is being held on the day that the new mortgage stress test is implemented.
The sessions scheduled are:
- 5.00-5:45pm: Getting Ready to Buy – Expert panel featuring review of the BC HOME loan, CMHC stress test, new home warranty products
- 6.00-6:45pm: Market Intelligence – Where to buy, how to buy, condo rules and realities of raising a family without a picket fence
- 7.00-7:45pm: What Product is Right for Me? – Highrise, lowrise, wooden structures, concrete, locations, amenities and more are reviewed.
“Understanding mortgage options, the BC HOME loan, how much one can afford under the ’stress test’ regulations, reviewing market data and financial forecasts and knowing how to work with a REALTOR® in what continues to be a very strong seller’s market will help relieve pressure and keep the buyer focused on their end goal – owning a home,” added de Wit.
Forum participants confirmed to date include:
- Shayne Ramsay, CEO, BC Housing;
- Wendy Acheson, VP & Registrar, BC Housing;
- Robyn Adamache, Senior Market Analyst, Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation;
- Tony Gioventu, Executive Director, Condominium Home Owners’ Association of BC; and
- Dan Morrison, President, Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver.
A Marketplace will run concurrently from 3pm until 9pm, offering attendees the chance to interact with real estate and industry specialists and view a variety of housing forms and product from municipalities across Metro Vancouver.
The event, sponsored by REW.ca and its publisher Glacier Media, will be held on March 1. The forum opens at 3pm and runs until 9pm, with seminar sessions from 5pm to 7.45pm. SFU Harbour Centre is located at 515 West Hastings Street, Vancouver (cross street Seymour).
The forum is free to attend but requires registration, and all attendees are asked to bring a donation to the Surrey Food Bank. The forum seminars will also be streamed online, which also requires registration.
For more information and to register for attending in person or online, click here.