What is an Engineer's Report?

REW.ca Staff REW.ca
October 20, 2011

When you sell a property in BC you're required to prepare a Property Disclosure Statement (PDS) so potential buyers are aware of any possible defects in the property. You, as a seller, must not conceal any defects you're aware of.

If you're selling a strata-titled property -- a condo, townhouse or any multifamily complex where you own your unit plus a share of the common areas -- you must include any engineer's reports or building envelope analysis on the property.

But what exactly constitutes an engineer's report? Should you only include engineer's reports on suspected problems or flaws, or do you need to include any engineer's report that exists, no matter how routine?

Recently the BC Supreme Court made a ruling on that question after it dismissed a condo seller's breach of contract suit. The buyer had rescinded his contract just before completion claiming that the seller had not included an engineer's report in the PSD.

The issue was that the engineer's report in question was not prompted by a suspected mechanical or structural problem that would need to be fixed; it was requested by the strata corporation so they could plan their expenditures for replacement and restoration as the building aged. This kind of engineering report is called a contingency reserve fund study (CRFS) or depreciation report.

The court ruled that any report prepared by an engineering firm must be disclosed in a seller's PDS. So if you are preparing to sell your condo or townhouse, ask your stata council and building management about all engineer's reports on anything to do with the state of the property.

You can read more about the case here.

© Copyright 2015


NOTE: To post a comment you must have an account with at least one of the following services: Disqus, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ You may then login using your account credentials for that service. If you do not already have an account you may register a new profile with Disqus by first clicking the "Post as" button and then the link: "Don't have one? Register a new profile".

REW.ca welcomes your opinions and comments. We do not allow personal attacks, offensive language or unsubstantiated allegations. We reserve the right to edit comments for length, style, legality and taste and reproduce them in print, electronic or otherwise. For further information, please contact the editor or publisher, or see our Terms and Conditions.

comments powered by Disqus

Email to a Friend

Get the REW.ca Newsletter
Most Popular
Start Your Real Estate Search with REW.ca

REW.ca is your best tool for Sunshine Coast real estate search. You'll find both Sunshine Coast MLS ® homes for sale and newly built homes and developments. MLS search covers the real estate boards of Greater Vancouver, the Fraser Valley, Chilliwack and Whistler. Sign up for free to receive property alerts about new Sunshine Coast MLS listings that match your searches. As well as searching for homes for sale, you can find the best mortgage rates with REW.ca's online mortgage calculator, or locate a Sunshine Coast real estate agent to buy or sell your home. Research BC real estate news and find out about Sunshine Coast neighbourhoods and local amenities. It's a better way to do real estate search.

REW.ca is the online arm of the largest real estate market news paper in the Lower Mainland: Real Estate Weekly.