If you're planning on buying your first home, don't miss the free first-time buyers' seminar put on by the Greater Vancouver Home Builders' Association. It's a popular event that fills up quickly because it de-mystifies the home-buying process and answers questions like:
- What home type is best matched to your wants, needs and financial resources?
- What are the mortgage options?
- How does the provincial property transfer tax exemption for first-time home buyers work?
- How much can be withdrawn tax-free from RRSPs?
- How about legal considerations, closing costs and home warranties?
- What's involved in condo pre-sales?
A panel of experts will cover those questions and many more at the 20th Annual Seminar for First-time Home Buyers on Tuesday, March 11 from 7 to 9 p.m.at the Bell Performing Arts Centre, 6250 144 Street, Surrey. From 6 to 7 p.m., you can enjoy the exhibit area, featuring new-home builders and home-related products and services.
- Robyn Adamache, Senior Market Analyst, Canada Mortgage & Housing Corp.
- Narrinder Dhanoya-Bhangu, Vice-President, Pacific region, Genworth Financial Canada
- Bill Macklem, President, Dominion Macklem Mortgages
- Sandra Wyant, President, Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver
- Howard Friedman, Vice-President, Chief Underwriting Officer, Travelers Canada
- Brad Ricketts, Energy Solutions Manager, FortisBC
- Gregory van Popta, partner, McQuarrie Hunter LLP
Seminar moderator is Shayne Ramsay, chief executive officer of BC Housing.
"Our experts will help first-time buyers consider all available options and important issues before they take that critical first step onto the property ladder," says GVHBA CEO Bob de Wit. "Real estate continues to be a hot topic in this region, so seminar attendance is expected to be as many or greater than the 750 young people who attended last year's event."
Admission is free thanks to the generosity of the presenting sponsor, the provincial Homeowner Protection Office, branch of BC Housing; patron sponsor Dominion Macklem Mortgages, media sponsor Glacier Media and corporate sponsors Canada Mortgage & Housing Corp., FortisBC, Genworth Financial Canada, Travelers Canada, Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver, The Vancouver Sun, The Province and CKNW.
Pre-registration is required.Register online at www.gvhba.org or call 778-565-4288from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. There is ample free onsite parking, and public transit is right at the corner. Although the seminar is free, attendees are asked to bring a food item for the Surrey Food Bank.
View Larger Map
Tuesday, March 11
Exhibits: 6 to 7 p.m.
Seminar: 7 to 9 p.m.
Bell Performing Arts Centre
6250 144 Street, Surrey